Summary:
At three stories high, the Evans School loomed over the low-slung storefronts and modest one-story houses that surrounded it. Only the brand-new State Capitol and the old courthouse stood higher, towering over the growing city below.

Named after Colorado's second territorial governor, John Evans, the Evans School served elementary aged students for 69 years, briefly containing junior high classes in 1917. For many years the school was the only one in the area that served deaf, blind, or physically handicapped students… 
Architectural Notes:
Architect David Dryden designed the Evans School as a "point of beauty, utility, accommodations and appointments". As in 1904, the building embraces historical function and architectural charm with modern day office features and systems. The adaptive reuse pursued sustainable practices and reprocessed site products and materials. Dryden held the position of supervising architect for School District No. 1 from 1901 until 1912. A century ago, builders got a lot of bang — and bricks, concrete blocks, wood planks and steel railings — for their buck; $115,000 was all it took to turn architect David Dryden's blueprints into a finished school at the corner of 11th Avenue and Acoma Street.

Historic Headlines from 1904:

“New Evans School. Finest in the West. Ready for Occupancy March 1”

“Evans School Principals”


The main body of the structure is of specially made red brick set in stretcher bond. The wall design includes an entablature and frieze above the ground floor windows on north, east and south facades and again above the third floor windows (surrounding the structure); there is a sill molding beneath the second floor windows around the north, east and south facades and corner The east or main facade has eighteen bays, three in the north projection, six in the indentation immediately to its south, three in the center - a pediment pavilion - and six in the indentation immediately to its south. The north and south facades consist of eleven bays with five on the east, five on the west and one in the center. The roof is hipped. 

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

 
©TheEvansSchool 2011